Explore Historic 6th Street District
6th Street is one of the most iconic streets, and destinations, in Austin. Located near our hotels in Austin, TX, 6th Street is lively with some of the area’s hippest bars, clubs, music venues, and shops. Traffic is generally blocked on weekend evenings as well as during University of Texas home football games, holidays, and other special event, prompting many to compare the strip to New Orleans’s Bourbon Street. Known to locals as “Dirty 6th” due to the debauchery that often goes down there, East Sixth Street has some of the best bars in Austin.
The Best of 6th Street
- Maggie Mae’s – 323 E. 6th – People watch from the rooftop patio and enjoy live music 7-days a week
- BRD Riley’s Irish Pub – 204 E. 6th – A popular Irish joint that attracts a slightly older, Jameson-and-Guinness-type crowd.
- Voodoo Room – 419 E. 6th – A chic looking club with thumping bass music you can hear from outside.
- Midnight Cowboy – 313 E. 6th – A speakeasy that gets it’s name from a once secret brothel in the same location, be sure to make a reservation, since they’re required, for fancy cocktails and a fun crowd.
- Easy Tiger – 709 E. 6th – Features a German-inspired beer garden, ping pong table, house-made sausage and bread, and an impressive beer selection.
- Casino El Camino Bar & Grill – 517 E. 6th – Awarded with “Best Jukebox” from the Austin Chronicle many locals say Casino El Camino has the best burger in town.
- Iron Cactus – 606 Trinity St – A triple threat of guacamole, margaritas, and an amazing rooftop patio.
- Voodoo Doughnut – 212 E. 6th – A Northwest favorite has made its way to Austin. Experience some of the most delicious doughnuts in the city with quirky designs and fun flavors. Plus, this shop is open 24-hours so you can get your doughnut fix anytime.
Best Music + More
- Buffalo Billiards – 201 E. 6th – From darts, pool, shuffleboard, and a Star Trek pinball machine, this local favorite is a popular hipster hangout.
- 6ixth Street Trading Company – 211 E 6th St – If you’re looking for some fun souvenirs to bring back from your Austin trip, look no further. From boots to shot glasses, and cowboy hats, 6ixth Street Trading Company has it all.
- The Alamo Drafthouse at the Ritz – 320 E. 6th – Enjoy the best food, drink, and cinema all in one place. The Alamo even offers some out of the box events like movie Quote-Alongs and music video dance parties!
- Esther’s Follies + the Velveeta – 525 E. 6th & 521 E. 6th – These neighboring comedy clubs will keep you laughing all night long.
- The Parish – 214 E. 6th – Stumble upon your new favorite band at this music venue that supports both well-known musicians as well as up-and-coming local artists.
Some of Austin’s most notable festivals occur in the 6th Street District like South by Southwest, The Republic of Texas Biker Rally, and Spring Pecan Street Festival. During the festivals, the district is filled with live music, scrumptious food, and more.
Located Near Our Downtown Austin Hotel
Located on 4th Street, our downtown Austin hotels are within walking distance to all the fun on 6th Street. We offer spacious accommodations, onsite dining, and more to make your stay comfortable. Check out our different offers and packages to help you save on your next Austin trip.